Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Comics

I grew up with a love for reading. When I was a kid I devoured Shakespeare, Agatha Christie, The Babysitters's Club, Nancy Drew, Anne of Green Gables and any book my mom gave me.

But I was especially fond of comic books. My favourites were Archie, Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin and Asterix. I would just read them for hours and hours and I fell in love with all the characters.

When I was a teenager and through most of my early twenties, I forgot about comic books for a while until I discovered the graphic novel; Fables, Watchmen, Batman, Y: The Last Man are just a few of the ones I am currently obsessed with.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the women in these stories; how they are represented, what they mean to me personally and how their clothes reflect women in general. I guess I've been thinking about it because I am considering getting a tattoo of James Jean's Sally Jupiter (from Watchmen.)


In Watchmen, Sally Jupiter is a strong, kick-ass babe who loves fighting crime and making sure her hair is set juuuust right. In her heyday, she goes through many challenges, including surviving a sexual attack, but she still manages to keep on fighting. Her costume is a deliberate tease; fashioned to fool criminals (and men) into thinking she is a diminutive sex kitten.

But it's also a deliberate statement that says she is in control, she is liberated and she is sexually free and in charge. She can be sexy and still catch the bad guys.

The portrayal of women in comic books (especially how they are dressed) has always fascinated me, if even it's subconsciously. The clothes are usually skin tight and revealing, and you would think that Cat Woman would have a hell of a time fighting crime in a leather bodysuit.

The clothes always seemed to restrict the women; just as women in real life have historically been oppressed by their corsets, their high heels, their tight jeans.

And sure, sex sells. Men make up a large comic book readership but I feel that women are gaining on them. And although the women in comic books still wear titillating clothes, their personalities and actions make the clothes stand as a symbol of female power; they are taking back their sexuality once owned by men and making it their own and controlling it.

And that is definitely something I can root for.

Here are some other favourite comic book characters and their amazing outfits.

Cinderella- Fables


Wonder Woman

Bat Girl

Cat Woman
Dark Phoenix

12 comments:

WendyB said...

Busty babes, all of them!

Annie said...

The Babysitter's Club was my LIFE for a few years...

Anonymous said...

The only thing hotter than the music will be the weather.Tiffany Necklaces Temperatures in the desert can tiffany pendantstop out at 120 degrees, so be prepared. Tiffany EarringsIf you want

to stay with the trend, Tiffany Ringsyou can always go to one of these stores pink ghdand look at the new designsdiscount ed hardy and trends and shop

for yourself.ed hardy wholesaleSome men aren't as "geared" for stylewholesale ed

hardy
as women seem to be, but Dieselralph lauren polo men's shoes are changing that opinion today. ralph lauren outletWhen you look for masculine fashion footwear, polo

ralph lauren
Diesel men's shoes hold a place all their own,lacoste polo in style as well as components.ugg bootsThey are also geared to appeal to a younger demographic group than some other styles you may see.ugg boots In fashion and style, attention to detail is very important and hence, you should always have accessories and good shoes to

enhance the entire look. Belts are kind of an essential. ugg bootsWhen it comes to shoes, wedges are the trend this season.

These are some of the things that you can always wear with other clothing items and look great.

Nike shox clearance said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Nike shox shoes said...

I enjoyed reading this blog post! Keep up the fantastic function.

Nike shox said...

I also have registered a blog. But I am busy so not update frequently. In addition my writing is bad. After a long time I get used to read other's blogs. In factis it is a pleasure to read other people's blog. Imagine the lives of others and feeling my own lives. Sometimes, I am grateful to those bloggers who always willing to share their lives and experiences with other people. Hope you happy every day the same.

asicsshoes said...

I would like to be the supporter of yours.Thank you for sharing!I think these are very valuable information.

Chanel Shopping Bags said...

They are all super heroes.Chanel may be known for its timeless designs, but with the introduction of the Chanel 2.55 Chanel brings us a line that is both seductive and a slight change of pace. Unmistakably different, Chanel classic strays from the quilted Chanel Evening Bags we have come to expect from the brand.

Jenny K. said...

I wouldn't call myself a comic fan, but I'm always interested in the mythology of them

2013 new nike nfl jerseys said...

I like to read this article! Keep up the wonderful function.
nfl jerseys shop online

Itools Mobile Service said...

Kindly visit us @ iPad Service center in Chennai

Digital Marketing said...

Excellent information, I like your post.

Latest Bollywood News in USA

Current Political News in USA

Latest Breaking News in USA