Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ode to Annie Hall


I've been watching a lot of movies lately late at night before I go to bed. I need to stop this habit as it's making me feel like shit when I wake up at 6 in the morning. But after a hard day's work and then an intense workout at the gym I need to wind down, and a movie makes me relax like no man can (hee!)

Although my mom is angry at me for spending all my money on DVDs, she can't help but like my choices: Annie Hall, Manhattan and Manhattan Murder Mystery (all Woody Allen films) have made their way from my room into hers.

Thankfully, I'm able to watch them before she slips into my room and grabs them.

As a result, I'm in a New York state of mind and in love with Diane Keaton and her sartorial choices. Her clothes are iconic. For those of you who think that Avril Lavigne started the tie trend you are dead wrong. It was Annie Hall. Who could forget that masculine style that at once said "take me seriously but I don't give a shit whether you like me."

The buttoned up to the neck shirt, the little vest, the boyfriend pants and that tie; together they started a revolution in women's wear. And the style is particularly in fashion now as women (such as myself) are clamororing for "boyfriend" style clothes: long, loose jackets and blazers, wide-legged pants, buttoned-up loose shirts and men's ties. It's not always in fashion but it always reincarnates every decade.

I really think that Diane Keaton's clothes shaped the way women dress; gone was the need to wear dresses to be sexy. Her clothes made women feel powerful and emancipated from traditional women's clothing. But they still made a woman feel sexy and desirable.

And it's partially because of my love for that movie that has made me buy two vintage boyfriend blazers (see this post.)

Are there any movies that influence your style?

(Kate Moss is a huge fan of this style)

2 comments:

Karinna C.C. said...

He he he I love ties!!! I wear a tie at work, with button up to the neck shirt at least once a week!!!! Love love love the look!!!

Ashley said...

Those are 3 of my favorite movies, I love Woody Allen! I'm actually taking a 1-credit class this semester on Woody Allen movies, it has to be the best class I've taken my entire college career lol!

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com