Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rihanna's comeback

Rihanna has gone through a lot of intense media scrutiny in the last few months while remaining quiet. In the last month she has been photographed hanging out with friends, going out to dinner and clubbing. However her real debut back into the spotlight was at the Met ball on Monday when she wore a Dolce and Gabbana high-shouldered tuxedo ensemble. Other than Madonna's Louis Vuitton get-up, Rihanna's sartorial choice was the most talked-about of the night. And really it's all because of those shoulders.

This season designers have gone back to the 1980s for some weird reason since that decade usually induces cringes from those who remember what was in style at the time. Big power shoulders were in. So Rihanna took it to the extreme at the Met.

When I saw the outfit I reacted with distate. I do think it's pretty ugly. But then I thought about it and I realized that it's not about being "pretty." The Met was all about being fashion-forward and avant-garde. Rihanna made the right choice in wearing her tux. And when you think about it; Rihanna never played it safe with her clothes. She's always been a bit of an extremist. And I think that's refreshing.

For once, a mainstream artist, a young woman, is showing her individuality by ignoring the rules of what Hollywood women "should" wear. And to be honest, even though there are many beautiful gowns that celebrity women wear; it all ends up looking the same compared to what Rihanna wears. And she pulls it off with attitude and confidence. Not many female celebs can do that without fear of being ridiculed. So Rihanna, I applaud you for your bold choices!






And P.S. Vogue named her one of the night's most stylish women.

2 comments:

WendyB said...

"I realized that it's not about being "pretty."" Thank you! I don't know why more people don't realize that.

Chloe Tejada said...

It took me a while to realize it! :) I do wish that more celebs would take chances with their wardrobes.