Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Who cares about the Sex and the City movie? Let's talk about Brideshead Revisited

My mom introduced me to the British television mini-series Brideshead Revisted based on the novel by Evelyn Waugh. I fell in love with Charles Ryder, the Flytes, Aloysius (Sebastian's teddy), the English countryside and the clothes that they wore. Sebastian's scarves, his immaculate white suits, his leather gloves and his fedora probably introduced me to fashion.

So while I am excited about Sex and the City the Movie, I almost fell off my chair when I heard they were making the Brideshead series into a movie starring Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain, Ben Whishaw as Sebastian Flyte and Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder. Although it will be hard not to compare these actors to Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews who both gave brilliant performances.

Then I saw a Vanity Fair article about the movie and the beautiful photographs that accompanied it. The clothes are beautiful; they look entirely appropriate for what the rich wore during that time period (the novel spans from the early 1920s until 1944) but it's very contemporary.

But don't take my word for it; take a look for yourself. (Photos: Vanity Fair)

Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain.

Ben Whishaw as Sebastian Flyte.


Hayley Atwell as Julia Flyte.

A scene from Brideshead Revisited, the 2008 movie.

No comments: