Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Amazon is a dangerous, dangerous site


Today at work I started browsing Amazon to get Christmas gift ideas. Naturally I found books and dvds that I wanted to get for myself so I started picking out a bunch of stuff and added them to my cart. When I checked on my cart I realized that I had picked out 17 items, most of them books about fashion. What can I say? I'm obsessed. Since I knew it would be hazardous to spend several hundred dollars when I have unpaid credit card bills, I emptied said cart, and bought one book: Influence by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

There's been a lot of press around this book, especially today when both twins did a bunch of interviews and a book signing (the one with the list of peculiar rules. ) I had no intention of buying the book until the media flooded me with images of the twins and my stupid brain fell for their marketing scheme.

But if you can believe bloggers, the book is supposed to be really good. The twins don't talk about themselves (a relief because I am thoroughly sick of them now) instead it talks about, duh, their influences. They talk to Chanel master Karl Lagerfeld, actress Lauren Hutton, John Galliano, Diane von Furstenberg and more fashionable people. These are people who I admire greatly and so I'm excited to see what they talk about to MK and Ashley, who, like it or not, are fashion icons.

I was never a fan of MK's boho bag lady look but she inspired a whole new movement who will now only wear sack dresses that look like they came from the attic, bug sunglasses, unkempt hair and gladiator sandals. That look defines our time. Well maybe not anymore, but it did.
I loved it when the sisters were photographed at the Chanel show last season decked out in head-to-toe Chanel. They were so glamourous.
And the fact is they are influential. Everything they wear gets copied. It's undeniable.



Here is Ashley's interview on Good Morning America.

2 comments:

Ondo Lady said...

The book sounds great and I would love to get it. Yep amazon is addictive.

Anthea said...

Thanks for posting this and the clip too! I know a lot of people don't really like them anymore but I still do. I am going to read the book sooN! Have you read the book by Rachel zoe? It's awesome. Hope your grandpa is feeling better.