Friday, April 11, 2008

Welcome to Fashion Journalist in the City


My name is Chloe Tejada and I'm, well, a struggling freelance fashion journalist in Toronto, Canada. The purpose of this blog really sprung out of boredom of my 9-5 job (which, funny enough, I'm writing from) and of course my growing interest in the fashion industry.

I'm trying to think of what to say about this blog that will set me apart from others. Words of wisdom from my past J-Skool (I hate that term) professors would want me to have an "angle" but really, I just want to blog about anything fashion-related that interests me and hopefully, you guys.

But first, a bit about myself (you can skip all this if you're not interested):

I went to Ryerson University in Toronto for journalism school and I graduated in June 2007.
For most of my fours years there I was never terribly interested in my chosen field of subject. I was apathetic about classes and assignments (I will never interview streeters again!) and I never really cared about journalism in practice, although I loved the idea of journalism. Maybe I was just lazy. But after a school trip to France that all changed. And don't kill me for paraphrasing Lauren Conrad of The Hills fame, but Paris really did change me. I know, biggest cliché in the world! Merde.

There, I discovered the fascinating and expensive world of designer handbags and fashion.
I became obsessed with Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Dior and the other fabulous French houses. I started reading Vogue (The American one; I discovered Italian, French and British later) and started paying attention to fashion.

When I started my last year at Ryerson I realized that I should be writing about fashion because it actually made me excited. So I did.
Now, almost a year after graduation, I'm an online news editor for a major media company but I'm so bored and I'm getting tired of pitching stories to magazines and not getting any responses. Hence, this blog is born!

I hope that this blog will be a place where people can come to be informed about fashion news and events, as well as my (not completely educated but earnest) commentary on everything from runway shows, models, TV, magazines, photography and other fashion silliness. Maybe I'll chronicle my struggle to "make it" in the fashion industry if I'm desperate for content.

(The photo in this post is one of my favorite fashion photographs ever. The model is Canadian Coco Rocha, shot by Steven Meisel for Vogue.)

Welcome to Fashion Journalist in the City!

- Chloe

No comments: