Friday, July 25, 2008

Calvin Klein headscarf


A couple days ago I was standing in line to catch a GO bus at Union Station when I noticed a young woman wearing a headscarf. Headscarves are common in Toronto, but that wasn't why I was staring. Her black scarf had CK logs printed all over it. CK as in Calvin Klein. Now, when I think about Calvin Klein, Mark Wahlberg's crotch comes to mind. As does Kate Moss's skinny ass. Muslim modesty does not cross my mind when I think about CK.
I just find it a bit of a paradox for a Muslim woman to be wearing something that stands for totally different ideals: The scarf stands for religious significance and modesty, while CK stands for sex. Love it! (BTW- I found this photo on Google Images. This woman is not the one who I saw. Which means there are more than two Muslim women wearing this scarf!)

No comments: