Thursday, July 10, 2008

'Disabled' Next Top Model

I wasn't going to post about Britain's new reality show 'Britain's Missing Top Model' because I feel that it is exploiting the women, but then I realized, all reality shows are exploitative and don't get me started on the fashion industry.

But my co-workers brought it up so I checked out the promo for it. Here's the idea in a nutshell: The series follows disabled women as they try to become models. The only disabled (former) model I can think of is Heather Mills, and that's not a good image to have. The catch-phrase is "Stylish, sassy, chic ... disabled?" Ugh. Well it is brave (or naive, depending on how you look at it) for these women to go on TV and try to become models, the show really is just using them as a gimmick.

Models are not supposed to be seen- the clothes on their backs are. Disabled models will never exist because people will be distracted by their disability instead of looking at the clothes. I will never watch this show.