Saturday, September 6, 2008

New York Fashion Week: Nicole Miller

Fashion Week began yesterday amidst much hoopla, champagne drinking and blogging. By now there are probably dozens of reviews so I'm not going to write a full review of all the shows I like; instead I'm going to choose my favorite looks and write commentary about them.

First up is Nicole Miller. I've loved Nicole Miller's clothes ever since I bought an amazing satin champagne-coloured dress that fits me perfectly. The clothes are beautifully tailored yet reasonably priced and they always look as if they were made just for you.

The S/S 09 collection was filled with menswear-inspired look such as blazers and slouchy pants but there were many colourful prints and long ethnic necklaces that offset any boyishness.

Here are my favorite looks:

This outfit reminds me of the summer I spent in France two years ago, while I was walking around the beautiful Mediterranean city of Nice. It's very laid back but sexy. I like how it mixes a feminine top with a boy cap and short trousers. This kind of androgyny is a trend that I'm seeing in many collections this season and is particularly prominent now with the rise of Lindsay Lohan's girlfriend, Samantha Ronson who has perfected the art of dressing in boyish clothes while still looking feminine.


I was really looking at the fabulous bag when I chose this look; it seems that enormous bags will still be in next season and thank God because I need all the room I can get. The dress has pleats in all the right places and makes the model look shapely.

This is my favorite look of the whole collection: All the clothes and accessories fit together perfectly to form a new way to dress in mens clothes while still looking like a sexy woman. It's kind of Uptown Rock and Roll meets Bohemian artist. I would kill for the jacket and the slouchy silver trousers.

The metallic top really impressed me with the layered criss-crossing and the cuffs. The idea of mixing a long boyfriend shirt and loose-fitting jacket with a mini skirt is so hot.



I have to say that even though I love the pants on the model I would never be able to pull this look off. The trousers are way too wide at the hips so only the super skinny and super brave would be able to wear these. I guess the rest of us will still be wearing flared jeans.
But the top has a beautiful print which would take attention away from the hips!


The only type of print I have seen women wearing this Summer is paisley which I'm so sick off, so it's refreshing to see something new and beautiful. The blue, white, purple and orange combination is very romantic and soft which goes perfectly with bubble hem.

(Photos: Style.com)

No comments: