Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New York Fashion Week S/S 09: Rodarte


As I flipped through the Rodarte photos on style.com, I thought "hadn't I seen this before?" And it seems that other critics thought the same thing.

Rodarte's spring collection kept it safe with looks from their smash hit collection from last season: Grecian gowns, knits, spidery leggings. But they added bright colours, leather jackets, sequins and chains. Was it enough to impress editors and buyers? I'm not so sure.

Despite this, the clothes were beautiful and dreamy and I can see the celebs mentally picturing themselves in the clothes on the red carpet.

But I wonder if Laura and Kate Mulleavy are just riding the wave. I was hoping for a collection that was completely different from last season's halloween-ish looks. It would have been great to see what else the talented sisters are capable of creating; I know they have wild imaginations, so where was the imagination this season? I didn't see it.




Beautiful but so last season.

I like the Grecian rock princess look.

The shredded, messy look reminds me a bit of Marc Jacobs. It's controlled messy.

This photo was taken just moments before model Abbey Lee hit the ground.


The collection's saving grace is this beautiful silk evening gown.

(Photos: Style.com)

No comments: